Priaulx League 
8th September 2018, 5:49 pm
Alderney FC
1 - 0
Rangers FAC
Alderney FC

Match Report

September 8th Alderney Nomads v Rangers FAC

Kindly sponsored by the Campania Inn

Match report – Priaulx league and Baker Cup fixture

The Nomads first home game of the season had extra significance as the teams were playing for the resurrected Baker cup, last played for in 1991! The cup was kindly brought over by the travelling Rangers committee. Following the excellent 3-3 draw verses one of the league favourites Northerners in the previous week, confidence was high amongst the home teams ranks. A well supported match at the Arsenal on a pleasant September afternoon, and with the entire match ‘new look’ programmes selling out! The omens were good, a thank you to Louis Dupont and Mad Dog Barker for their efforts pre-match and collecting the admission monies.

The game kicked off following pre-match photographs taken by David Nash involving both teams with the Baker cup and officials that represented Rangers FAC.  As expected the game soon became a competitive affair and it was Rangers that forced an early tip over the bar by keeper James Taylor, a speculative cross come shot from just inside Alderney’s half. A break into Rangers half after 10 mins a neat flick by Joe Blackham put in Alderney’s number 10 Marian State who raced to the ball along with Rangers keeper Tom Newbold unfortunately the 50/50 clash the visiting keeper appeared to land badly on his ankle, it resulted in a lengthy 25 mins medical delay. Alderney football club would like to thank our emergency services and all the team that provided support for Tom, we also would like to wish him well and a speedy recovery.

Substitute keeper on the field the game resumed with Rangers quickly on the ascendency JT produced a superb close range save which kept the score at 0-0.

Alderney’s first effort fell to striker and captain Ross Benfield who was put through by Ciaran Stretton the shot went just passed the left-hand post. On 17 mins some neat inter changes and a superb ball by State was raced onto by Dante WALKER who’s timely shot beat the advancing keeper 1-0.  It was a neat finish which was taken well. Alderney continued to press immediately after the goal trying to play football on a difficult summer baked surface, John Adamson had a decent shot at goal from outside the box as he hit the ball on the up the ball ended over the bar. The game was soon developing into a midfield tussle with both teams conceding possession, Jermaine Parry was dominating the early exchanges winning three strong tackles in succession followed by some tidy passing. State working hard up front running off the ball and when he was on the ball he was trying to feed Benfield and Blackham at every opportunity, then it was Rangers turn to force Alderneys defence into action as the game ebbed and flowed. From the back and way into his own half Walker hit a Beckham esq cross field pass well into the Rangers half Blackham the target and he won a corner, three consecutive corners were drilled across to the far post Steve Concanen the target the ball just didn’t fall to a blue shirt. The next best chance of the first half fell to Stretton who was inches away from a fine ball coach Josh Concanen close to making it 2-0. The first half ended with Rangers winning a free kick and the ball put in which causing our defence some concern, and a clash of heads between Andrew Adamson and Blackham resulted in some glue applied to Andy’s head during half time.

Half time 1-0

Terry Butcher ( esq ) Andrew continued with his headband in place, it was Alderney who pressed immediately attacking the Fort Albert end, and Stretton just couldn’t get on the end of a cross down the right so close to the 2nd goal. The game then was littered with free kicks and more stoppages Rangers had a strong no 9 Wayne Bishop who was causing problems for the Nomads defence with his physical presence. On 51 mins some superb skill by Walker who beat two players on the edge of the box his curling shot hit the righthand post, it would have been an outstanding goal, however the linesman flagged for an offside, so it wouldn’t have counted. Rangers no8 Ferbrache forced a save by JT and further long throws by no10 Querifel causing Alderney’s defence cause for concern. Alderney then began to take back control pressure some good work by State and Stretton nearly resulted in an own goal by the Rangers defence, Benfield won a header from a corner that didn’t quite fall for Blackham to strike on goal. The sun came out in time and so did Rosa’s ice cream van much to the delight for the many youngsters in attendance today. With 10 mins left McCormack replaced State and he made an immediate impact with his long throws. With the game entering the final minutes and the Baker cup at stake, Rangers pressed, and sub Thompson forced JT into another fine save, the game continued to be tightly contested Alderneys Parry conceded a free kick following a lunge at the ball he received a booking for. Stretton was booked also soon after as the game continued to be interrupted, Steve Con wins yet another header as Rangers press for an equaliser, with time running out Walker has a shot on goal and then was substituted for Chris Chadney who went straight up front to partner Benfield. In time added on one last effort by Rangers was defended stoutly by Alderneys man of the match Parry.

A tight game, physical at times, competitive on a sun-baked playing surface at the Arsenal which made football difficult at times. A great start to the season though 4 points from the first two games and some Silverware in the clubhouse! The Baker cup will remain in Alderney until the fixture returns next season.

Unofficial attendance 75+

Team: James Taylor, Andrew Adamson, Steven Concanen, Dante Walker, Josh Concanen (coach) Joe Blackham, John Adamson, Jermaine Parry, Ciaran Stretton, Marion State, Ross Benfield (captain) Subs Lee McCormack, Chris Chadney

Alderneys Man of the Match Jermaine Parry kindly sponsored by Matt Baker and selected by Louis and Mad Dog

The team have a run of away games now, our next game is not until November 24th against the current league leaders St Martins. Alderney’s next games will be a Friday Saturday double header on September 28th 29th v Belgrave Wanderers and Manzur

Your support would be very welcome again.

Lee Sanders